Introduction

Hi Everyone!
I was born and raised in New Jersey, specifically central Jersey. I graduated from Rider University in 2016 with a double major in Elementary Education and Psychology. I have a minor in Chinese and a focus on Middle School English.
This is my third year teaching. I currently teach Computer Science at Winslow Township Middle School which is a Middle School located in South Jersey. This will be my third year at this school. Winslow Township Middle School is a Title 1 school with some very tough kids but it is so rewarding in the end to break through to the kids.
I love it! I did not graduate with my bachelors in tech ed and I was thrown into the content area as a first year teacher. Lets just say that year was a very rough and an educational year. I have grown a lot as a teacher. I had a little background in technology because I worked with a company called Bricks 4 Kidz. It is an afterschool program and camp that teaches kids Science and other STEM subjects through building legos and robotics. I feel that this program prepared me a bit for the subject manner. 
Two summers ago I attended two, one week long professional development sessions in Baltimore Maryland under Project Lead the Way. I am now a Project Lead the Way certified teacher! It was truly an amazing experience. I learned how to work with Micro:bits and how to teach physical computing. I also learned how to do block coding in 2 different platforms. We will be utilizing these coding platforms to create apps in my class this year.
Last summer I spent it at The College of New Jersey. I did a course on the curriculum from code.org and am code.org certified to teach it to my Middle Schoolers.  My 8th graders love code.org. We have learned so much this year already. They have learned how to make their own websites through HTML and CSS and now we are making our own animations and games using JavaScript. 

Comments

  1. Hi Christy! Nice to meet you. I am a middle school librarian, and I co-teach computer science with the Tech Coach at my school. We teach 6th graders, and we see them once a week. She is a Project Lead the Way educator, too. I love Micro:bits, and I love learning from my students.

    Do you teach 8th grade only? Other grades?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Problem of Practice