Prototype!

I created a google slides to organize my ideas for my problem of practice as well as my prototype. I decided that my solution that I wanted to work on would be parent engagement and I brainstormed some ways to engage parents in some of the slides for the slide show. At the end of my slideshow I included the prototype. I created a flyer on smores.com. This flyer included information about computer science class, events that parents could attend, and extra information/ resources for them. I created 2 different events that I think would be very beneificial to parents the first, was a parent tech night where we would be discussing resources and how they could help at home. This event would also include information about a fundraiser I would want to put together to get funds to purchase wifi hotspot loaners for the public library available to students from the district. The second event is an event that is called Family Tech Night. This event includes participation from parents and children together. They would practice coding and get resources that could be plugged or unplugged from the teacher and then they would come to the family tech night and compete in a coding competition to win an Ozobot, which is a tiny robot that we use in class.

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1Cy-5fhf22Moo26ym8HVay25XfvkCG1Anmq4sDbIwmRs/edit?usp=sharing

Comments

  1. Hi Christy!
    I tried to post to your introduction and it looks like it never posted correctly. I wanted to tell you that I teach in Haddon Township NJ not too far from you. We should connect and get together sometime! I would be interested in helping get hotspots for students in the Camden County Library if you need or want some help with that. I love all of the ideas that you have proposed for your parent education problem of practice. S'more is one of the tools that I use to communicate with parents in my classroom and it has been well-received by parents. Parent education night is a fantastic opportunity not only to let parents experience what the program is like but also to get to know you as face and not just a name. In future years of implementation, you may also want to have students put together a tech website or a blog that showcases what they are learning in the classroom. I am looking forward to seeing your success with this in the next few weeks.
    Mae

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mae,
      Thank you for your comment. Wow! Haddon Township is not far at all. We should connect! We are both in the Camden County area for teaching and I really think that it would benefit our students that don't have wifi it would be really great to propose it to the library system.
      I like your idea of having student portfolios it will definitely allow me to showcase work easier and show samples to classes/parents!

      Delete
    2. Great! I would love to connect with you. My email is mvalez2@lesley.edu. Email me and we can talk more!
      Mae

      Delete
  2. Christy, you have great ideas. Involving parents will go far in supporting the students. Plus, I think it helps demystifies computer science for those who might classify themselves as Luddites!

    I love that you are exploring ways to partner with your local public library. Could your school librarian help facilitate that connection, too?

    Based on what I've learned about your student population so far, it seems that there may be quite a bit of socio-economic diversity. Have you thought about ways to get as many caregivers as possible to the tech night? What barriers might prevent them from being there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your thinking in terms of how many guardians can/ will participate at the tech night. I have made an incentive to come so that they can participate in the family tech night. I also think I need to think about child care and also if they work at nights. Not sure how to help with some of those barriers.

      Delete
    2. Can you connect with students at the high school for childcare? Maybe students at the high school could even help with some events for younger children that tie into STEM?

      I'm excited for your project!

      Delete
  3. Great prototype so far in terms of content chosen. There is a great book called Sit and Get Won't Grow Dendrites by Marcia L. Tate. about how to deliver professional development effectively. It's a quick, really fun, engaging read. Basically, it asks us to make sure our presentations are visual, interactive, thought provoking, etc. Less sit and get info and more do and learn. There are so many tools available to us when we present that can really help make the info stick. The book does a great job at reviewing those tools. I also think I remember hearing somewhere that a slide should try not to have more than 15 words. While a slide can serve as a set of talking points for you, it should not have so much information on it that it replaces you! Believe me, as someone who is way too wordy, this is super hard to do! There is always the note taker feature for those extra words.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

Problem of Practice